Monday, February 16, 2009

Chesch!


That's 'hi', spelled phoneticaly, in Polish. Way back in 2003 I had a litte jaunt teaching English as a foreign language in good 'ol Poland and had a great time. I'm still in touch with Jan (Yan), one of my students, and he sends me updates of his family and I do the same. He made the following card for me on my last day with photoshop and inside he'd printed a poem I'd shared with the class. Please note - I was not pregnant - not even with delicious pierogies, I'm holding a waterbottle and papers.

The Sailor’s Soul
By Kelly Hayes


A sailor’s soul
a wandering heart
two tired feet besides.

Restless dreams
in lonely beds
a pair of open eyes.

A rambling way
a flowing urge
no home for man or child.

No destination
no home port
no chance to tame the wild.

1 comment:

Sarah C said...

very cool. seriously.