Friday, March 4, 2011

A Little Perspective

Driving home earlier this week I noticed that gas prices had jumped to $3.15.  I immediately looked at gas gauge and grumbled as I imagined the gas column having to wiggle out more money from my already very tight budget.  And though budgets and being able to afford needs like gas are real concerns, my grumbling was humbled when later in the week we got a visit from a student I hadn't seen since maybe September.  Mohammed is from Libya and he recently returned, having escaped through Tunisia.  He was happy to see us, but shaking as he told us that two of his friends were killed, and his family is still there.  All he's been doing for the last two weeks he's been here is watching the news about his country.  Of course his mother is begging him to stay here, out of harm's way, but he wants to go back to be with them. 
Thinking of all the implications of a man's country in complete murderous, political turmoil, and whether or not he should return, puts a little more light on the plight of my gas money.  Something to think about.

No comments: