Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Break Up

I haven't written on my novel since December, when I handed over a draft to both my folks and my brother at Christmas for feedback.  I just recently got said feedback from my brother and the gist is...he likes some of my writing, but the whole story needs to change.  And the worst part is, it's not an unfounded critique, so I can't blame it on just his subjective take.  I had actually suspected I'd get some of the criticisms I did. 

So now I'm mulling, and stewing, and figuring out just how to break up with some of my favorite characters, and bulk up the others.  Did Twain ever go through this? Steinbeck? (Hemingway should  have.)  When does the editing stop?  My friend and fellow writer Mike White - Laughing Under Water Looks a Lot Like Drowning showed me his book, printed and bound, that he was still making edits to. 

So, back to the drawing board I go, and I'll leave you with a picture from Grand Lake.



No comments: