Monday, May 23, 2011

Like It Was The End of the World







Saturday night, May 21st, I went to the  U2 concert here in Denver, instead of my eternal place of rest as was predicted.  I did find it funny (and wondered if the song was part of the regular tour set) when U2 sang their song, The End of The World.  The concert was phenomenal! I am not a crowd person, so I don't go to big concerts much, and you couldn't pay me to be on the floor right in front of the stage in the midst of all those people.  I was much happier way up in the nose bleeds in my little seat, my sectioned off little space.  The benefit from way up there is that we got to see it all.  These guys have been around awhile, and they have perfected the art of performing.  It is really something to get a chance to watch people who are experts at their craft. 
Another aspect of the show that I happened to like, (though the idiots behind me didn't, and left - thank goodness), was that U2 is very involved in charitable organizations - Amnesty International and One in particular.  During the show they had a few comments, video clips and songs with video dialogue interspersed all with messages around the work of these organizations and the band's beliefs.  I say, power to them! Here is a group of men who have packed a stadium with 75,000+ people and they have a microphone and everyone's attention.  I am pleased that they are using their fame and influence to try to affect good change in the world, at the very least in making some people aware. They have made no secret of their affiliations or beliefs before, and in going to see U2, you should probably expect these kind of messages.  Go see Eminem or Guns N' Roses and you'll get a different kind of show.  At one point toward the end, U2 had a video clip of the president-elect of Burma who until recently had been living under house arrest because the govt. refused to recognized her as the people's choice.  I'm sure the two morons behind me who where shouting 'shut up already!' had no idea who she is or what her plight represents.  And there will be some people like that.  I understand wanting to hear good music sans agendas,  but for U2, I also understand that that means listening to their album in my car, rather than hearing them live.  And in this age of technologically modified music where singers can't carry their own tune in public, U2's songs sounded even better live, big and bold.  They were definitely worth being on my bucket list.

No comments: