Monday, August 1, 2011

Ritz and Bikers

Continuing the bare-pantry food challenge from last week, I discovered that Ritz crackers make all the difference in a ho-hum meal.  I had fresh chopped garlic, butter, eggs, cheese, and fresh sliced mushrooms.  Not bad, but not great, until I crumbled in a handful of Ritz crackers and voila! Instant yumminess! After that little dish, my fridge was severely depleted and I have since restocked.

Yesterday while out on a walk on the Highline Canal, I continued a little social experiment I've been conducting and decided it is time to report my findings.  I am a friendly person (a little too friendly some might say) and say hi to folks on trails.  Over many walks and hikes I have noticed quite a difference in the kinds of people that would return the greetings.  In counting 40+ walkers or runners, only 6 did not say hello.  Of those 6, 5 were plugged into head phones with eyes down.  I counted 28 bikers, and of those, only 7 said hello.  Of those 7, all were recreational bikers or families.  If a biker was wearing a biking shirt, forget-about-it!
Colorado is a very friendly state, and a big biker state, but somehow, the two aren't connecting.  I'm not willing to chalk up the brush-offs to hard work, as the older runner who looked like he was running through at heart attack managed to give me a little wave - twice.  With all the push for more biker-friendly roads and attitudes from drivers, I think there needs to be a little PR push for bikers themselves to be more friendly.  The trails don't need to be a place to meet-n-greet, and maybe I have been overly friendly to prove my point - which is - we're all sharing the space, ditch the above-it-all attitude and at least give a smile.  Your heart-rate will benefit overall.




No comments: